Baby Alien Specimen

Baby Alien Specimen


Step 1:

Capture an alien baby. This one was caught in my daughter's toy box and was getting prepared to be sold at a yard sale. It worked out great because it was a "water-baby", a type of doll that is filled with water to make it feel more life-like. Fortunately for us haunters, the water also makes the baby jiggle if moved and keeps it from floating to the top of the jar.

After procuring the "alien", look for a glass jar large enough to contain the little sucker. I think mine was a pickle jar that we had gotten from a wholesale store.

Step 2:

Decorate the alien. I didn't want it to look all pinkish like it originally did, so I painted the doll with grey acrylic paint and then smeared the paint off with a paper towel. This gave it an uneven cadaverous cast that works out nicely when dry. I also painted the eyes black with a gloss acrylic paint.

Step 3:

After the gray skin is dry, I drew lines and ridges all over the doll with a tube of glow in the dark fabric paint. I bought the kind that you squeeze the paint out of the container through a small tube. This lets you be really accurate in controlling where the paint goes and lets you build up "ridges" of paint instead of simply making flat areas. As you can see in the close-up photo above, I paid particular attention to the face, but also carried the details down throughout the body.

Step 4:

After all of the paint dried, stuff the alien in the jar and fill it with tap water. Once you get it full, add some food coloring until you reach your desired color. I went with the putrid yellow/green cast of formaldehyde, but I suppose any other color would work just as well.

Step 5:

Cap the jar shut tightly and label the specimen jar with a title on masking tape. I chose something simple: Alien, but there are a lot of other cool titles that could be used too. Your alien is now finished! Stick it on the self and move on to your next project!

Original author: Derek Greenwood
Original URL: http://www.madhauscreative.com/alien%20specimen.html